The Department of Orthopedics and the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinic of Patras University organize a holistic program for frailty and its complications.
What is frailty?
Frailty is a syndrome that appears in the elder characterized by a decline in reserve and function across multiple physiologic systems like:
- Muscular mass and strength,
- Bone mass and resistance (osteoporosis),
- Walking speed and body weight
The symptoms are:
- Non otherwise explained anorexia and difficulty in everyday activities
- Gradual withdrawal from personal and social activities
- Reduced mobility and augmented propensity to fall (with elevated possibility of a fracture or a traumatic brain injury)
As a result:
- Elevated morbidity, and difficult medical management,
- Poor response to therapy and
- Elevated mortality rates
What we suggest?
The patient should go after the following steps:
- a team of experts is evaluating the current level of function and the health needs of
- with the use of special scales, radiological and laboratory exams, the diagnostic
process is concluded and the patient gets a report of his health state
- Further evaluation if needed from specialized physicians or else
- Adapted physical activities program, in order to reduce the impact of frailty and the
possibility of a fall, but also to enhance the overall wellbeing
- Special check-list is granted in order to point out the home place hazards and what
to do to eliminate them
- if needed home visits in order to propose possible modification for a safer
Can I participate?
Yes if you are more than 65 years!
You need to make an appointment with the team by calling in the following telephone numbers 2613603125 Tuesday from 9:30am to 14.00. The contact person is Ms Rodopoulou.
The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Rehabilitation clinic of the University of PatrasMore